what are the first steps?
What Are the First Steps?
- Look through the basic information on our web site to gain a basic understanding of the difference between a Microboard and Individualized Funding.
- Review the Vela Microboard Principles and Functions and decide if they represent your personal values and principles.
- Think about who you might want to sit on your Vela Microboard. Look for people who have similar values and beliefs as your own. Talk to them and encourage them to visit our website to learn more.
- Incorporating as a non-profit society (You are responsible for paying the fee to the Registrar of Companies). Specific language must be included in your constitution to be considered a Vela Microboard, so please contact us prior to moving through the incorporation process.
- Person-centred planning.
- Brainstorming and problem solving.
- Networking opportunities.
- Write a comprehensive plan to submit to your funding agency (i.e. Community Living BC, The Ministry of Health, The Ministry of Children and Family Development).
- Plan your support services.
- Decide how you want your services delivered.
- Create a budget.
- Negotiate for funding.
- Customize your employment documents.
- Organize administration for payroll and bookkeeping.
- Provide you with the information employers need to know to follow: Employment Standards, WorkSafe BC, the Canada Revenue Agency, Community Living BC policies and/or policies from your funder(s) statement.