Vela is seeking a creative and adaptable individual to join our team as a part-time facilitator for 20 hours per week. Our facilitators are responsible for assisting individuals and families to explore the available support options, and to help mentor them throughout the process of creating the supports they envision.
The position will be based out of the Okanagan, and will involve some travel throughout the region with meetings sometimes taking place in families’ homes and government offices. Temporarily, because of COVID-19, this will be a work from home position.
- Assist people with disabilities and their network to explore the options available in self-directed supports.
- Assist individuals and families to set up, and maintain, Microboards and Individualized Funding supports.
- Host gatherings and workshops on topics relevant to Microboards and Individualized Funding users.
- Be knowledgeable about, and be able to mentor families in, the legislation governing employers in British Columbia.
- Maintain positive relationships with our stakeholders, including Community Living British Columbia, the Ministry of Children and Family Development, and the Ministry of Health.
The Successful Applicant Must
- Have experience supporting individuals with disabilities, and families, in directing their own supports and services.
- Demonstrate experience grounded in person-centered thinking.
- Be self-motivated, adaptable, and able to work effectively with a team.
- Have strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Be computer literate and able to work with word-processing software including the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Strong Assets for this Position
- Experience and/or a strong understanding of Microboards and the philosophy behind our concept.
- Experience with Community Living BC, Ministry of Child and Family Development, and the Ministry of Health.
- Experience with applicable provincial and federal employment legislation (WorkSafe BC, Employment Standards, Canada Revenue Agency).
How to Apply
If you enjoy a flexible work week (which can sometimes include evenings and weekends), working in an ever-evolving environment, and being part of a dynamic and supportive team, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. (No phone calls please).
Applications are due no later than 5:00 p.m. on December 10, 2021. Vela welcomes all applications, however, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview. Interviews will be conducted in December and the position start date will be January 2022.