About Vela Canada
Established in 1985, Vela Canada is a not-for-profit based in British Columbia, Canada. Vela Canada assists people with disabilities in taking greater control of their lives by exploring ideas that can lead to customized, inclusive and creative supports primarily through developing a Microboard™ or accessing Individualized Funding. There are now over 1,100 Microboards™ in BC alone, providing people with a self-directed lifestyle.
Vela Canada, known internationally as the experts on the development of Microboards™, was the first organization in the world to offer this focused service. They have been gaining traction and have been asked to help international family groups, organizations and governments throughout Canada, Australia, the United States, Northern Ireland, Scotland, England, Norway and the Republic of Ireland.
Our mission is to promote and secure innovative and individualized community options for people with disabilities.
We do this by providing:
- Support and encouragement to think about what a good life means to you or your loved one
- Person-centred planning
- Networking opportunities
- Information and education
- Facilitated problem solving
- Service development
- Budget creation
- Negotiation support
- Sample employment documents
- Assistance with paperwork
We advocate provincially on the broader issues that affect those we assist. We work with like-minded agencies to enhance the lives of people with disabilities.
We provide information and mentoring to individuals with disabilities and their trusted others by supporting them to take greater control of their lives. We do this by exploring ideas and options that can lead to customized, inclusive, and creative supports and services. This includes walking people through the process of forming a Microboard™ and accessing funds through Individualized Funding.
There are over 5,500 people in BC that:
- Sit on a Microboard.
- Are committed volunteers.
- Provide unpaid planning, monitoring, and social support.
- Ensure the individual they care about has a richer, fuller life in their community.
Microboard members and Individualized Funding Agents are volunteers and play an important roll. They:
- Create valued reciprocal relationships for people that may have otherwise been isolated.
- Give back by being active contributing members of their communities.
- Support individuals with Microboards or Individualized Funding to do the same.
- Reduce cost pressures for government funded services.
- Bring economic benefits to communities by employing local support staff.
- Utilize local services and businesses.
- That relationships are the most important component of a person’s life.
- That all people have the capacity for self-determination.
- That all planning and decisions made with or for a person must be based on their strengths, wishes, needs, and interests.
- That all people have gifts to share with those around them and their wider community.
Vela's Constitution describes what Vela Canada does.
Vela's Bylaws describe how Vela Canada conducts its business as a society.